Monday 4 May 2015

Consuming Love

I never could satisfy you 
you wanted more than I could give 
I gave you the whole of the earth 
you laid me to waste just to live 

You must remember the good times
First love in paradise garden
So engrossed with one another
We wandered too far from Eden

I still trusted in us as you
Grew fat off me in middle age
With carefree flights of fancy
And a mistress in each new age

Intent on destroying me
Constant demand for more and more
With your all-consuming love
That broke each one of nature’s laws

You think I’m not who I once was
Frail & weak I’m too old to fight
You say I blow hot then cold
Blind to your part in my plight

You ignored my constant warnings 
With total denial and lies
Head buried in the sands of time
As every last part of me dies

© David Hardman 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment